The Stella SW represents the pinnacle of innovation for Shimano reel technology and fish-fighting performance. For 2019, this flagship series has been upgraded and released in 8000, 10000 and 14000 sizes. For increased power and enhanced durability, this series features a range of upgrades. Infinity Drive has been incorporated for light and powerful winding and the upgraded Heatsink Drag (10000 and 14000 sizes) provides superior drag performance under extreme heat.
A waterproof rating of IPX8 is achieved through X-Protect and X-Shield with the aluminium Hagane Body acting as a rigid and super tough outer shell. Now special X-Protect rubber gaskets have been incorporated into the line roller, making this mechanism ten times more durable than the previous model. A new and improved compact rotor design features in the 8000 sizes and has made the reel 50g lighter than the comparable Stella SW models. The HG models are designed for both casting and jigging, whereas PG is geared for jigging applications and XG for saltwater casting. Available in stores March 2019.
The Shimano Stella SWC reels have the following features:
- The ‘Heat Sink Panel’, where the heat generated by drag is released, stops any decrease in drag performance, due to thermal sagging, by around 50%. The ‘Insulation Sheet’, which blocks heat transfer to the spool, prevents spool temperatures from increasing by around 30%. The evolution of the new drag system is easier on the line and more stable than ever.
- The new Stella SW employs 'Infinity Drive’ where the pinion gear inner does not make contact with the main shaft, as a high-sliding bushing supports the main shaft. With this new structure, sliding resistance of the main shaft is drastically reduced. In addition to this, a special skidding coating on the main shaft helps to further reduce sliding resistance. InfinityDrive cuts handle rotation torque by about 30% in comparison to the conventional system, and makes the reel more powerful.
- The new Stella SW employs X-Protect for its line roller as well as its stopper bearing and further improves its waterproofing performance. The new structure protects bearings inside the line roller from the harsh saltwater environment, and bearing durability is ten times greater than conventional designs.
- Hagane gears are precision pressed, cold forged gears. Hard and tough, the Hagane Gear has high durability and delivers smooth winding
- The Hagane Body chassis is made of highly rigid aluminium alloy. It eliminates flex, warp and distortion of the reel, and protects the engagement of gears inside, allowing for smoother winding
- X-Rigid Rotor: through detailed 3D analysis, strong rigidity, high durability and excellent rotational balance is created. Thanks to its strong rigidity, the X-Rigid Rotor contributes to improved effectiveness of various parts such as the drag
- Silent Drive: the smallest clearance gaps and wobbles have been eliminated to the highest tolerances. As a result, a new generation of silky smooth winding performance and pristine silence has been achieved
- X-Ship includes an enlarged drive gear, optimum positioning of the pinion and drive gears, and two-point support of the pinion gear whose ends are supported by bearings, which permit smooth winding even under heavy loads
- X-Tough Drag: Each drag washer is composed of metal or carbon, which have high resistance to friction. Supporting the spool from both the top and bottom means highly durable and stable drag performance
- Rigid Support Drag: Supporting the spool at two-points of the main shaft and bearing inside the spool eliminates spool wobble and delivers stable, smooth drag function